Tony Chen: Does a rainy day bring you sadness or happiness? Thoughts listening to "Singing in the Rain..."



New York in August is not that hot and I feel that we have really entered into Fall/Autumn. The temperature is much comfortable now. This is the 3rd time that I came to New York and for some reason, I feel it rains a lot more than before this year. I remember that it rained around Monday and Tuesday this week (08/11 & 08/12), and it's also going to rain often according to weather forecast. When it rains the sky becomes grey, and I am surprised about the loud volume of New York's thunder too!

Our mood can be affected by the color of the sky, the sound and the rain from the sky. Different music contains a variety of different moods. So the weather and music together would naturally bring us a lot more combinations of the feelings affecting our mood.

Seeing the weather in New York, the water bottle on my desk, and composing music, I suddenly recalled a short story of mine in San Francisco early this year.





It was a rainy day in late February. It actually rained before my live radio show. Normally when I did my music show, I would put a cup of water next to me. You know, radio is a lot of talk. It was different on the day, I put a cup of dark chocolate pearl milk tea instead.





On Keany St in San Francisco, there is a cafe called "Destiny Coffee and Tea". I have a friend working there as a waiter. I ordered a cup of dark chocolate pearl milk tea 3 or 4 days ago. I said I wanted to try for the first time. My friend made it for me and I felt the taste was very fragrant, very nice! It was a sunny day, and he said "You should be able to enjoy the fragrance of it! It represents my mood today!"I replied:"It seems you are feeling sunny inside!"


Then a few days later I ordered a dark chocolate pearl milk tea again. After he was done, he asked me to try it again and guess how he felt. I watched it for a bit and found that the color of the milk tea was more darker than the previous time, and the taste was stronger. I asked him if he felt a bit depressed that day, he said it might be it.
"Is it because it is raining outside?" I asked.
"Ah, yes, because of the rain!" He replied.

So it appears that different weather brings us a different mood. Being affected, the things we are doing and the products we are creating contains the same or similar mood factors from the weather (Actually I suggest it's not only limited to weather but everything affecting us counts.)

So what mood do you have when you are facing wind blows, rains, storms...etc? Especially when you have just finished your work of the day or the week and going home in a rainy day?

For some people, the rain brings depression, but for some exciting people, the rain may bring them some singing and dancing! That's what happened in the classic American movie "Singing in the Rain..." Let's just enjoy it together again here!








Of course, if you'd like to dance in the rain like Gene Kelly, be careful, it's slippery outside! If you drive a car, be aware if there are anybody dancing in the street or not! Haha!

A rainy day may be a stage for happy singing and dancing
A rainy day may also be a precursor to something bad or crisis
A rainy day may be a location for a magical love story that's about to begin
A rainy day may also be a scenery of our past

So what do you think a rainy day is for you?



Finally, I am presenting you my recent piano solo piece "Recall our past..." for you to taste...


Tony's music is now available on iTunes, Amazon, CDBaby, Bandcamp, Spotify, Rhapsody, Emusic, Googleplay...etc.  Go to your iphone or android smart phone to download the pieces! $0.99/mp3 download ONLY!



Tony Chen
Award Winning Music Composer (Grammy Voting Member & ASCAP Member), Voice Actor/Coach
http://www.tonychenmusic.com

LISTEN TO THE MUSIC THAT MOVES & INSPIRES:
http://www.reverbnation.com/tonychen

FOLLOW ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER & YOUTUBE
Tony's Blog: http://tonychenmusic.blogspot.com/

Best of World Music Nominee: 2014 Hollywood Music in Media Awards™
Best of Contemporary Instrumental Nominee: 2014 Hollywood Music in Media Awards™
Best of New Age Music Nominee: 2014 Hollywood Music in Media Awards™
Winner Best Song of Indie Film: 2013 Hollywood Music in Media Awards™
Best Soundtrack Album Nominee: 2012 Hollywood Music in Media Awards™
Winner Best Instrumental: 13th Great American Song Contest
Top Honor Winner Best New Age music: 11th Annual Independent Music Awards

Comments

Popular Posts